Friday, February 11, 2011

Sight

Recently i have had a feeling as if I were blind. Though i do not have perfect vision i can still see quite well. I can read without error and identify objects at a good distance away with my glasses but it doesn't feel as if I'm seeing a tree outside the window or the monitor in front of my face. There is seeing and object and there is "Seeing". I feel as if there are thousands of things that i simply do not "see" on a regular bases like a fly on the wall when rushing to class or a cloud in the sky when driving home. These things pass us by when we prioritize. There is so much wonder in the world but now it seems few of us see it or acknowledge it at face value. I know that there are important things in our lives that we are compelled to but there is something equally important by just sitting down and looking out your window. On the other side of the coin there is also many horrible things in the world that we do not see. You hear about famine in countries that are beyond our sight and we feel pity and think of ways to help but rarely act upon them. We would forget ourselves if we saw famine in front of us now. But for most acknowledging a problem involves the "Seeing" of the problem. So I ask, what good is our sight? There is so much to see, so much that I can confidently say that no one person will ever see it all. But we should not let that stop us, we should let it inspire us. That there is always something unknown out there, something to take as it is, at face value. Sight should be used to see the smallest details, admire beauty and horror alike. Take time to just watch the world. Let your eyes guide and inspire you.

2 comments:

  1. I put off getting glasses for several years. When I finally broke down to get them the Dr. told me that I should not drive without glasses. Should have not waited so long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. its so very true, in todays rush rush society there seems little time to stop and appreciate the wonders that we have been bestowed.

    ReplyDelete